A Trustworthy Guide to Black Tie Optional
With our black tie optional season opener just one day away, we thought we’d help you navigate your wardrobe options for tomorrow evening by providing “A Trustworthy Guide to Black Tie Optional”.
- Tuxedos are appropriate and encouraged for black tie optional. This includes a black tuxedo jacket and matching trousers, formal (pique or pleated front) white shirt, shirt studs and cuff links, black cumber bunt or vest, and a black bow tie.
- For those who are looking to make good on the “optional” portion of this equation, a dark suit with a white shirt and conservative tie is also acceptable.
- Shoe choices, well, you’re looking at dark leather. And dark socks. Always dark socks.
- Bonus: bow ties can be hard. Watch this video – we won’t tell!
- Gowns are the assumed counterpart to the gentleman’s black tie attire.
- Cocktail dresses are also acceptable for black tie optional affairs, as long as the hemline is not too short or the style is not revealing.
- Dark or deep, bold colors (such as emerald or magenta) are preferred.
- Shoe choices include stilettos, open-toes, high heeled pumps, or wedges.
There you have it! A breezy, trustworthy guide to black tie optional. We hope to see you in your very best tomorrow evening! Oh – and good news! There are still some tickets left for this incredible concert featuring two opera stars from New York performing pieces by Bernstein, Ives, and Berlin. Don’t wait – get them before you iron your tux…